Taking care of your relocation by yourself is something many choose to do. It’s not really that hard if you think about it. All you need to do is pack and move all your belongings. It might seem hard, but that doesn’t have to be true if you know what you are doing. There are some parts of the move you should not do by yourself, like moving heavy objects. Moving your piano is definitely one of them. For example, piano moving needs to be left for some of the most reliable piano movers Philadelphia offers. The same goes for pool tables and other large and heavy items. Other than this, you will do an amazing job, and you will have nothing to worry about. DIY packing is definitely one of the things you will do without any issues.
What can you do by yourself?
Taking care of your home and your relocation can be easy if you know how to organize. There are so many things you can do without professional moving companies if you have enough time. And if you do, you can do a great job. First of all, you need to know what are the things that you can definitely do by yourself:
- You can get all the moving supplies you need
- Pack all your belongings
- Disassemble furniture
- Label the boxes and even color-code them
- Move them by your car or a rented moving truck
- Unpack and assemble all your furniture
But, DIY packing might just be the hardest one. There are two parts to packing by yourself. First, you need to get all the packing supplies, and then you need to pack them all. You will surely do a great job, as long as you follow some basic rules. If you need to store some of these things, you can rent one of the safest storage units Philadelphia offers. This way, everything will be safe until you need to use it once more.
Get your packing supplies
First things first, you need to make sure you get all the packing supplies you need. The best way to do it is by taking a look at your belongings and trying to figure out how many moving boxes you need of which size. This way, you will be able to come up with a pretty accurate guess of how many boxes you need. If you are not sure, always get less than you think you will need. You can always get a few more boxes, but if you have more than you need, you won’t be able to sell them. You can also choose between the old moving boxes and the new ones. If you take the old ones, you can use them, but don’t use those if you need to pack any valuable items. Better safe than sorry.
Still, even if the old packing supplies are much cheaper than the new ones, the probability of your belongings getting damaged while being moved in the old ones is much higher than if you relocate them using the new ones. That is why it’s definitely recommended for you to get the new moving boxes. This way, you can be sure that your belongings will be safe from getting damaged on the way yo your new home.
DIY packing- why should you do it?
Now that you are ready to start, you need to know some basic rules. First of all, pacing by yourself can really be a great idea, for many reasons. Some of those are:
- You know what are the things that are really important to you. You will pack them with much more care than someone that doesn’t know how important they are. Especially when you are packing fragile memories.
- You can save quite some cash if you avoid hiring professional packers. They will do a great job, but they will also cost you quite a bit. And, you can avoid that by taking care of this simple part of your move by yourself.
- Some items that are fragile or valuable don’t always look or feel that way. You will know what those items are, but your movers might miss that. You will be able to pack them just the right way and protect them during the move.
- Also, you can save on packing supplies too. Your moving professionals will be able to pack everything in the new moving boxes, but not many will bother with packing your things in the damaged moving boxes. There is always a risk that the boxes will burst and not everyone is ready to cope with that.
There are also some cons to this kind of packing
Still, you can’t really do this without taking a look on the other side- there are some cons of this as well. You can be sure that it’s much easier to leave this to professionals, and here is why:
- Professional packers are amazing at what they do. Even if you need to move in a hurry, you can get professional packers and the last-minute moving service, and this way, you will have everything that you need to get relocated in no time.
- You will take a lot of time to pack even if you don’t need to move in a hurry. The thing is, people are taking a long time to pack because we usually run into memories all the time and spend time looking at them. But, professionals won’t get distracted.
- You will have to ask your friends and family for help when you are packing your belongings, and that means that you will have to throw a party afterward, and that takes time as well. Parties are much better if you don’t throw them because you have to.
- Your belongings will surely be transported with all the possible care and caution. You won’t have to worry about their safety. Even if they do get damaged, you will be able to get paid for them. That is what the insurance is for, after all.
As you can se, there are many pros and cons about doing this, and you will have no issues with determining what suits your needs better. But, once you decide, you can be sure that everything will be just fine. Your belongings are in good hands either way. DIY packing is not hard if you know what to look out for.
How It Works
Give us a call or fill out a non-obligatory free moving estimate on our website.
Express your requirements
Tell us about the scope, distance, and type of your moving process.
Let us simplify your move
We’ll provide the most suitable, convenient, and efficient solution for your relocation.